THE PLAYER COMPARISON TOOL
About the Tool:
- The Player Comparison Tool includes every skater, drafted in the first seven rounds, from 1990 to Present as well as select undrafted stars and 1980s drafted Hall of Famers.
- It includes over 300 eligible draftees for the 2020 draft.
- In total, the tool includes over 5,000 players
- NHLes: How the player’s point production in their given league would translate to the NHL (over an 82 game pace). For example, an NHLe of 40 would on average result in 40 points over 82 games in the NHL the first season after the player transitions over.
- Also, NHLes are used as a way to standardize player’s offensive score over time. We’re looking for higher numbers at younger ages. Those are the biggest indicators of future star-potential and becoming an NHLer, in general.
- The tool provides the player’s NHLe for five years of development, from their D-1 season (i.e., pre-draft year) through their first eligible draft year (i.e., true draft year) through to their D3 season (i.e., third season after their first eligible draft year)
- The tool also provides the players’ probability of turning into an NHLer (200+ games) and probability of turning into an offensive star in the NHL (0.7+ career ppg for a forward and 0.45+ career ppg for a defenseman).
- The five closest comparables provide the five closest players based on star and NHLer probabilities. They are assessed at two stages: D0 – First eligible draft year (the year most players are drafted) and after the five year development track. Note, if the player was drafted in the past few years and hasn’t reached five years of development, the comparables are players that looked like that player at that point in their development. For instance, if the player is four years into their development path, the comparables would be of players that looked similar after four years of development.
- On rare occasion, the comparable may not match the player exactly. Often when this occurs, the player has a very unique development pattern and doesn’t match a lot players exactly.
THE DRAFTER TOOL
About the Tool:
- The Drafter Tool allows you to see all to draftees from a particular draft all in one spot by each draft year going back to 1990.
- The tool shows you what the player looked like at the moment they were drafted as well as what they looked like after the full five year development track.
- You can filter by year, position and draft number.
- If you’re wondering who were the best forwards or defensemen or players in general available when my team was up at a position in a given draft, this tool shows you!
- You can see all the potential draftees for the upcoming draft here as well.